top of page


US immigration law provides people with a variety of ways to get

a green card through employment in the United States. These

employment-based (EB) “preference immigrant” categories include:

EB-1 – First Preference

For those that possess extraordinary abilities and can prove they're

among the top in their field. Eligible applicants don't need sponsorship

from an employer or job offer; they can self-apply for the EB-1.

· People with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education,

business, or athletics;

· Outstanding professors and researchers

· Certain multinational managers and executives.


EB-2 – Second Preference

For individuals with advanced degrees (above bachelor’s) or

applicants with exceptional ability in the fields of art, science,

or business. It Does Not include individuals who have excelled in

academics and athletics as in the EB-1 class.

· People with an advanced degree

· Exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business.

· National Interest Waiver.


EB-3 – Third Preference

For those who have jobs that don’t apply to the first two categories.

The work that must be done for each of these worker categories

is one where there are not enough competent individuals already

in the United States.

· Skilled Workers

· Professionals


How can I apply?


For each one of the visas, there is a specific requirement.


The following must be included as evidence to demonstrate

you have sustained national or international acclaim and that your achievements have been recognized in your field of expertise,3 out

10 listed criteria below (or comparable evidence if any of the criteria

do not readily apply):


· Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized

prizes or awards for excellence

· Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which

demand outstanding achievement of their members

· Evidence of published material about you in professional or major

trade publications or other major media

· Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or on a panel

· Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic,

or business-related contributions of major significance to the field

· Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional

or major trade publications or other major media

· Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases

· Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in

distinguished organizations

· Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in relation to others in the field

· Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts




If you hold an advanced degree or its equivalent, or can demonstrate exceptional ability, you may be eligible for an employment-based

second preference visa.


For Advance Degree:

You must submit documentation verifying your advanced degree or

equivalent foreign degree, such as:

· Official academic record showing that you have a U.S. advanced degree or a foreign equivalent degree

· An official academic record showing that you have a U.S. bachelor's degree or a foreign equivalent degree and letters from current or former

employers attesting to your post-bachelor's work experience in the field.


For Exceptional Ability you must meet at least 3 of the requirements below:


· Official academic record showing that you have a degree, diploma,

certificate, or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to your area of exceptional ability

· Letters from current or former employers documenting at least

10 years of full-time experience in your occupation

· A license to practice your profession or certification for your

profession or occupation

· Evidence that you have commanded a salary or other remuneration

for services that demonstrates your exceptional ability

· Membership in a professional association(s)

· Recognition for your achievements and significant contributions to

your industry or field by your peers, government entities, professional

or business organizations

· Other comparable evidence of eligibility is also acceptable.


Your EB-2 petitions must usually be accompanied by a certified

Application for Permanent Employment Certification from the

Department of Labor (DOL) on ETA Form 9089, however, DOL

provides for a blanket (Schedule A) certification in certain situations.

As part of the application process, your employer must be able to

demonstrate an ability to pay the offered wage as of the

priority date and continue until you obtain lawful permanent

residence status.




If you are a skilled worker, professional, or other worker and meet

the required labor market conditions, you may be eligible for this visa preference category.


“Skilled workers” people who have completed at least two years of

training or experience, not of a temporary or seasonal nature. The job opportunity's educational, training, and/or experience requirements

must be met by the skilled worker. Relevant post-secondary

education may be considered professional education.

“Professionals” are those whose occupation requires at least a

U.S. bachelor's degree or its equivalent from another country.

“Other workers” subcategory is for unskilled workers who have

had less than 2 years of training or experience, and the work is not seasonal or temporary.


What is the application process?


The application process for each visa can be slightly different.

For all EB-1 applications, the USCIS Form I-140 needs to be filled out.

The company must go through the PERM Labor Certification

procedure under both the EB2 and the EB3 visas.


How long is the processing time?


The government's time to approve the EB-1 visa is typically around

8 months.


The average processing time is 18 months, but it can be delayed up

to several years in extreme circumstances.


It can take between 6 to 9 months, depending on your country of origin.


Is there premium processing available for this?

Optional Premium Processing is a specialized service provided by the

USCIS that cuts the processing time of certain petition documents to

15 days for an additional fee. The I-140, thankfully, is one of them.

It can only be used to expedite the process of the I-140. Using an

expedited service will not guarantee that your application will be

approved, but it can help reduce the amount of time it takes

for a decision to be made.



The process of getting an employment-based visa in the U.S. is

complicated and requires extensive knowledge of immigration

law to navigate without making mistakes. Overlooking just one small

detail can jeopardize your whole application, so it's crucial to have

guidance from an experienced immigration attorney.

bottom of page