top of page

Preguntas frecuentes

Aquí están nuestras preguntas y respuestas más comunes.


I have a fiancé out of the country, should we get married first? It all depends. Getting married first might be better. But, if you are a United States citizen and you have a fiancé in another country, you can apply for a fiancé visa. Once approved, your fiancé can come to the U.S. and then you must get married within 90 days. After marriage, you may immediately file for legal permanent residency. It is important to consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss the best option for your individual situation.

How can I get a new Greencard if I lost mine? Visit the USCIS website and file form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This can be done online or by mail.


Will I have to leave the country if my spouse petitions for me? This depends on how you entered the United States. If you had a visa and entered legally, then you can adjust status without having to go back to your home country. However, if you entered without being inspected and admitted (EWI), then you will have to consular process, which involves leaving and having an interview at the consulate.

Is it possible to return to the Unites States after being deported? Yes, depending on the reason you were deported. If you do not have a permanent bar, then you may return once you serve your required number of years out of the country. In order to return, you have to have a way to obtain status. A parent, child, LPR or United States citizen spouse could petition for you.


What does the immigration Judge consider to grant a bond? The immigration judge will consider criminal history, immigration history, ties to the U.S., is there relief available, and other factors. In some cases, mandatory detention is required, and a bond cannot be issued. Immigration bonds can be as low as $1500 on up to very high amounts. An experienced immigration lawyer can argue for a reduced bond.

How do I prove my marriage is bonafide? Having a bona fide marriage means that you married for love and not a Greencard. There is a list of items on the USCIS website to submit to help prove your marriage is real. Such things as pictures, text, joint bank account, lease, and other items to prove you are a couple. If you have only been married for a short period of time and do not have sufficient evidence, seek the help of a reputable immigration attorney. We give you ideas of alternative evidence to use to make your case stronger.


I’m undocumented and in an abusive relationship, what can I do? If you are married to a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident who is mentally or physically abusive, you may qualify for VAWA. VAWA is the Violence Against Women’s Act, but it is not only for women. Men experiencing abuse in a relationship can also self-petition. There are certain things that you must prove so seek the help of an experienced immigration attorney to help you. You shouldn’t go at this alone.

I have a pending immigration petition, but have a criminal conviction, what could happen? It all depends on what the criminal conviction is for and the immigration benefit you are seeking. Some crimes make you inadmissible and would ultimately prohibit you from any immigration benefit. Some crimes can be forgiven with a waiver, and some crimes have no effect. You must always be honest and upfront about arrests and convictions on any immigration application. Having a criminal convictions can also affect you becoming a U.S. citizen so don’t file a petition without consulting an immigration lawyer first.


I’m supposed to go to Immigration Court, but never received a notice, what should I do? Make sure that you have the correct address on file. Consult with an immigration attorney who can look up you’re Alien number to get a status on your case. You do not want to miss a court hearing because you can be removed in absentia for missing court.

Do I need an immigration attorney? Immigration law is very complex, and it changes daily. Any wrong information or omissions can have significant consequences. You should definitely seek the help of an experienced immigration attorney if you have a criminal history, are in removal proceedings, entered illegally, or are experiencing unusual delays in processing.


When can I apply for Citizenship? It depends on how long you have been a lawful permanent resident, and how you got your status. If you received your Greencard through marriage, you can apply after 3 years. 5 years is the requirement for any other way.

Can I appeal my removal (deportation) order? Generally, yes. But time is of the essence. It is important that you contact an experienced immigration lawyer immediately to discuss your options if you want to remain in the United States.


I just moved, do I need to update my address? Yes. If you are a lawful permanent resident or in the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa, you must notify USCIS within 10 days of moving withing the U.S. or its territories. This can be done by filing Form AR-11 either electronically or paper.

How long will my immigration case take? Unfortunately, the answer is we don’t know exactly. Immigration attorneys can give you an estimated time frame, but we cannot control the speed that government agencies process any particular case. But, we are often able to use nonpublic email addresses and telephone numbers to help move a case along.


How do I know if I have a deportation order? When you miss court you can receive an order of removal in absentia. Oftentimes, you will not be aware of this order. You can file for a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). It is free. This is a way to get your entire immigration file from the court, EOIR which will show your current status. It is always a good idea to pay an immigration attorney a fee to review your file. It can be very difficult to understand the proceedings. You can also have an immigration attorney check the 1800 hotline for your status.


What do I do if I get stopped by the police? Be quiet and don’t be overly talkative. The only questions you are required to answer are identifying questions. What is your name and where do you live. Be respectful and don’t escalate the situation. Ask if you are free to leave. If not, ask for your lawyer.

What is Bond of Bail? Bail is the money or surety that a defendant must pay to get out of jail. A bond is posted on a defendant’s behalf by a bail bondsman. A percentage is paid, and the bondsman pays the bond amount to the jail. A bond ensures that you will return to court. If you skip out on court, then the bond is forfeited and the bondsman may come looking for you.


What is probable cause? It is the standard by which police can make an arrest, conduct a search, and obtain an arrest warrant. It simply means that probably a crime has been committed and you probably committed it.

What is a First Appearance Hearing? This is the first hearing after arrest. This is conducted within 48 hours of arrest unless you have already bonded out. At this hearing the charges are read, you are advised of your right to remain silent, and an inquiry is made to whether you are able to afford an attorney.


What is an Arraignment? Once your case is indicted or accused, there will be a hearing in front of a Judge where you are notified of the charges against you. At this hearing you can plea guilty and resolve your case or you can plea not guilty and proceed to trial.

I bonded out, now what? Now you wait, stay out of trouble, and help your lawyer with your defense. The next court date will be your arraignment once you are indicted or accused, which means you have been officially charged with a crime. At this hearing you can plea guilty and resolve your case or you can plea not guilty and proceed to trial.


What is an Indictment? An Indictment is the official document charging you with a crime. An indictment will come from a Grand Jury, and it is for more serious type of felony charges. It will list the date of the incident of the crime, victim, and how the crime was contrary to the laws of the state. If your charge is a misdemeanor or a minor felony, then you are charged through an Accusation. This will come from the District Attorney or Solicitor. These documents start the process through the court.

If I am a non-U.S. citizen should I bond out of criminal court? This is a tricky question, and it depends. If you bond out, you are no longer under the jurisdiction of the criminal court and ICE can pick you up if there is an ICE hold. If this happens then you will be detained in ICE jail which is worse than criminal jail. It will be very difficult to fight your criminal charge while in ICE custody. You may get a bond from an immigration judge, but one thing the judge will consider is your pending criminal case. Seek the help of a crimmigration attorney prior to bonding out.


What do I do if I have a pending arrest warrant? You should get out in front of it and turn yourself in with a lawyer. If you do not, then you run the risk of being arrested by the police. This can happen if you are stopped by the police on a traffic stop. The only way the warrant is going to go away is if you let it run its course through the criminal justice system. The way that starts is once you are arrested.

What happens if I get arrested for a new charge while on probation? Being arrested while on probation is a violation of probation. Most likely, you will have a probation hold and not be able to get out of jail until you have your probation hearing. Oftentimes, your probation case will be adjudicated before your case for your current charges is resolved. Hire an experience criminal defense attorney to help you navigate both cases for the best outcome.


What are the factors a Judge considers to grant bond? Are you a danger to society, is there a risk of flight, ties to the community, and is there a likelihood of you committing other felonies or intimidating any witnesses while on bond. They will also take into consideration the type of crime you are charged with and your past criminal history.


Estas son nuestras definiciones más comunes.

a los términos legales de inmigración.


¿Qué es un Residente Permanente Legal?

Un titular de la tarjeta verde. Un no ciudadano que está legalmente autorizado para vivir y trabajar en los Estados Unidos.


¿Qué es el trámite consular?

El proceso de obtener una tarjeta verde fuera de los Estados Unidos. Cuando ingresa ilegalmente y está casado con un ciudadano de los Estados Unidos, debe regresar a su país de origen para realizar un proceso consular a fin de obtener el estatus de LPR.


¿Qué es una declaración jurada de apoyo?

I 864 presentado con una solicitud de tarjeta verde. Este documento es para demostrar que el peticionario gana más del 125% de la línea de pobreza para mantener el hogar. Si el peticionario no cumple con este requisito de ingresos, se necesita un patrocinador conjunto.


¿Qué se considera para un matrimonio de buena fe?

Cualquier cosa para probar que el matrimonio es legítimo. Cuentas bancarias conjuntas, arrendamiento, seguro de automóvil, seguro de vida, fotos, mensajes de texto, correos electrónicos, declaraciones juradas de amigos y familiares, y comprobante de vivir en el mismo hogar.

¿Qué es un NTA (Aviso de comparecencia)?

Un documento que se recibe para mostrar que una persona está siendo colocada en un proceso de deportación y debe comparecer ante un juez en un tribunal de inmigración.


¿Qué es un NOID (Aviso de intención de denegar)?

Un aviso recibido de USCIS de que tienen la intención de denegar la solicitud que se ha presentado. Este aviso indicará el motivo de la denegación.


¿Qué es USCIS (Servicio de Inmigración de Ciudadanos de los Estados Unidos)?

El órgano rector que aprueba y niega las peticiones dentro de los Estados Unidos. Este es también el lugar donde se llevan a cabo las entrevistas dentro de los Estados.


¿Qué es el NVC (Centro Nacional de Visas)?

Esta es la ubicación donde irá un archivo que debe procesarse para el procesamiento consular una vez que esté completo. Esta es la etapa en la que un expediente espera una entrevista en el consulado y una visa para estar disponible.


¿Residente Condicional?

Esta es una tarjeta verde de 2 años. Si estuvo casado por menos de 2 años cuando solicitó una tarjeta de residencia, una vez aprobada, recibirá una tarjeta de residencia condicional. 6 meses antes del vencimiento de su tarjeta de residencia condicional, deberá eliminar las condiciones para obtener la aprobación de una tarjeta de residencia de 10 años.


¿Qué es un inmigrante indocumentado?

Un ciudadano extranjero que se encuentra en los Estados Unidos sin papeles.


¿Qué es VAWA (Ley de Violencia contra la Mujer)?

VAWA es un acto que fue creado para proteger a las víctimas indocumentadas de violencia doméstica. Si es indocumentado y está casado con un ciudadano de los Estados Unidos o un residente permanente legal que es mental o físicamente abusivo, VAWA es una forma de autopetición para una tarjeta verde. Los hombres también pueden solicitar a través de VAWA.


¿Qué es el TPS (Estado de Protección Temporal)?

TPS es una forma temporal de permanecer en los Estados Unidos debido a que las condiciones de su país de origen no son satisfactorias.


¿Qué es la Naturalización?

Esta es una forma de convertirse en ciudadano de los Estados Unidos si no nació en los EE. UU. Para calificar, debe ser un LPR por 3 o 5 años, tener buen carácter moral, hablar y entender inglés y aprobar un examen de educación cívica. .

bottom of page