top of page

F1 - Student Visa Attorney in Atlanta

What Is a F-1 Visa?

The F-1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa that permits

foreign students to study at institutions accepted by the Student

and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). If you're looking to study

at an American university or college, the F-1 visa is likely the

student visa for you– but only after an accredited institution

accepts your application.


Applying for an F-1 Visa

You must first be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor

Program (SEVP)-certified school. Upon acceptance, the institution

will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility for

Nonimmigrant Student Status (Form I-20). You will need

this document to apply for your visa.

If you are transferring from another SEVP-certified school, you

will use a new Form I-20. The new designated school official (DSO)

will issue the form after they have entered your information

into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Once you have the required form, you can begin the visa

application process. The first step is to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.

After paying the fee, you will need to schedule an interview

at a U.S. embassy or consulate. You will need to bring your

passport, SEVIS Form I-20, evidence of financial support

and other required documents to your interview.


F-1 Visa Requirements


To qualify for a student visa, you must prove to a consular officer

that you:


- Plan to attend a SEVP-certified school


- Have sufficient funds available for your tuition and living expenses


- Intend to return to your home country after completing your

studies in the United States

When applying for a student visa, you will need to show proof that

you have the financial resources available to cover your tuition and

living expenses while in the United States. You can do this by

providing bank statements or an affidavit of support from

your parents or other sponsors.



After You Arrive in the United States


As a student on an F-1 visa, you will be required to maintain your

student status. This means that you must:


- Keep your SEVIS record up-to-date


- Pursue a full course of study


- Make normal progress toward completing your program


- Obtain prior approval before making any changes to your

program of study


- Notify your DSO of any changes in your contact information

or address


- Notify your DSO if you drop below a full course of study or

withdraw from your program


- Apply for a practical training opportunity (if applicable)


- Request an extension of your program, if necessary


If you violate the terms of your student visa, you may be subject to

removal from the United States. You may also lose your eligibility

for a future visa.



F-1 Visa Duration


The F-1 student visa is valid for the duration of your student status.

This means that you can stay in the United States as long as you are

enrolled in a SEVP-certified school and maintaining your student status.

If you need to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), keep in mind that once you finish your program, you will have a grace period of 60 days to leave the US.

Let a student visa layer help you on your journey to getting educated in the United States.

bottom of page