top of page

What to Do if Your K-1 Visa is Denied: A Guide for LGBTQ+ Couples

LGTBQ+ same-sex fiancé visa

Receiving a denial for your K-1 visa application can be especially disheartening for LGBTQ+ couples who often face additional challenges in proving the authenticity of their relationship. The K-1 visa, or fiancé visa, allows a foreign citizen to enter the U.S. to marry their U.S. citizen partner. If your application has been denied, you must understand the reasons behind the decision and the steps you can take to rectify the situation, particularly within the unique context of LGBTQ+ relationships.

Understanding the Reasons for Denial

First and foremost, it's crucial to grasp why your K-1 visa was denied. Common reasons include:

  1. Insufficient Evidence of Relationship: Proving a genuine relationship can be more challenging for LGBTQ+ couples, especially if you come from a country where same-sex relationships are not recognized or accepted.

  2. Incomplete or Inaccurate Forms: Errors or omissions in the application can lead to a denial.

  3. Ineligibility of the U.S. Citizen Petitioner: The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen and meet certain financial requirements.

  4. Previous Immigration Violations: A history of overstaying a visa or other immigration issues can result in a denial.

  5. Criminal Record: Certain criminal records can disqualify an applicant from receiving a K-1 visa.

Steps to Take After a K-1 Visa Denial

  1. Review the Denial Notice: Start by carefully reviewing the denial notice (Form I-797, Notice of Action). This document outlines the specific reasons for the denial, which will help you determine your next steps.

  2. Consult an Immigration Attorney: Given the complexity of immigration laws and the unique challenges faced by LGBTQ+ couples, it's highly recommended to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. They can help you understand your options and guide you through the process of addressing the issues that led to the denial.

  3. Consider Reapplying: If the denial was due to insufficient evidence, you might gather additional documentation to support your relationship and submit a new application. For LGBTQ+ couples, this might include more comprehensive evidence such as correspondence, joint travel records, and statements from family and friends affirming your relationship.

  4. File a Motion to Reconsider or Reopen: In some cases, you can file a motion to reconsider or reopen your case with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A motion to reconsider requests the USCIS to review their decision based on the evidence provided, while a motion to reopen involves submitting new evidence.

  5. Appeal the Decision: If you believe the denial was unjust, you might be able to appeal the decision to the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO). The appeal process can be lengthy and complicated, so legal representation is essential to increase your chances of success.

  6. Explore Alternative Visa Options: If reapplying for a K-1 visa isn't feasible, consider other visa options. For instance, if you marry outside the U.S., you might apply for a conditional green card, which allows you to live and work in the U.S. as a permanent resident.

Tips for a Successful K-1 Visa Application

To improve the likelihood of a successful K-1 visa application, keep these tips in mind:

  • Provide Strong Evidence of Relationship: LGBTQ+ couples may need to submit a variety of evidence demonstrating the authenticity of their relationship, such as photographs, communication records, and affidavits from friends and family. It's also helpful to provide context if you come from a region where LGBTQ+ relationships are stigmatized or illegal.

  • Ensure Accuracy and Completeness: Double-check all forms and documents for accuracy and completeness. Any errors can lead to delays or denials.

  • Prepare for the Interview: The visa interview is a critical part of the process. Be ready to answer questions about your relationship, your plans for the future, and your background. LGBTQ+ couples should be prepared to address any additional scrutiny or questions about their relationship.

  • Follow Legal Advice: An immigration attorney can provide valuable guidance throughout the application process, helping you avoid common mistakes and addressing any potential issues.

If you need assistance with your immigration case on a K-1 Visa petition contact our office today, we'll be happy to guide you through the process. Call us at 678-250-5449 or fill in the 'Contact Us' form below.


bottom of page